LF: Loops again

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loops again
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:55:48 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
With all the loop talk that has been going on since before time began has anyone found a design for a near perfect small loop, suppose its like how long is a piece of string, obviously the bigger the better but then there is the diminishing returns senario, it there much noticeable difference between a 2 meter side square loop and a 4meter.
Which is better a single turn loop, several turns in series, several turns in parallel and the best method of feed and matching at the loop.
I have a lot of information about all of these loops little and large but never used a very small loop and might try but there is a lot of conflicting info about the various configurations and I do not want to re invent the wheel so if someone has had good practical results it would be useful.
I have been watching QRS activity lately while in the shack doing other things and notice a lot of CQ'S from various amateurs around the UK and Europe and sometimes all going at once, the screen is getting cluttered, but only a few result in QSO'S so it would appear obvious to me that the majority are not seeing each other, and that would indicate poor receiving capabilities.
I appear to be receiving all of the activity but my 90 meter perimiter loop is reasonably large and is doing well on receive but not as good as my vertical, however I would like to try a very small loop and compare results, but I dont want to build several small loops varying in design, if someone has already done this and knows which ones to forget about.
I know location is also important, good ground, reasonable and poor ground etc under the loop and some use loops to null out qrm but I am not concerned about qrm, this location is rural and as qrm free as one can get, this is why my vertical is also good on receive.
Please dont tell me to read the Comic, I need todays technology.
73 de Mal/G3KEV