LF: HGB 75 KHz in North Carolina

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: HGB 75 KHz in North Carolina
From: "Dexter McIntyre W4DEX" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 21:14:18 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>

James Moritz wrote:

It might be worth stateside listeners monitoring levels of
government/utility signals near 73kHz, eg. the Rugby 73.25kHz FSK, HBG time
signal on 75kHz, DCF77 time signal on 77.5kHz, to get a handle on
trans-atlantic conditions.

I monitored HGB some last season but never documented the results.  This
was mainly due to antenna changes and the varying received signal
strengths as the tunable preamp is tuned.  I think I need to dedicate an
antenna just for this purpose in order to make meaningful reports.

I recall trying to get enough signal for "radio clock" to sync on HBG
but I don't recall ever being successful.  Tonight, and even before
sunset, I have had enough signal for "radio clock" to decode and display
the time.  I am presently receiving with a tuned, 3.3 meter, octagon
loop and a balanced preamp.

W4DEX