LF: Loop reception and daytime activity

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Loop reception and daytime activity
From: "Dave Pick" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:31:34 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear all.

I am now fully set up on 136 and 73k and am available most days throughout the day. Week days are usually free of the local noises which plague me at the weekends and I have had good conacts with F6BWO, DL1EIE, SM1LCA and SM6BHZ over the last week.
Some of the credit for this is down to the rotatable loop receiving antenna. Based on Jim's "lazy" design, it's a 4 turn loop with 2mtr sides, tuned and rotated from the shack and using Jim's pre-amp design. It tunes down to 70kHz and will knock Rugby down by 40dB.
The most surprising thing has been its performance after dark, I find I can actually peak more distant signals to a quite useful amount by rotating the loop. The peak is quite sharp. I expected to be able to improve signal readabilty by nulling noises, not by peaking signals like using a VHF beam! The effect on F6BWO's signal just now was amazing!

If anyone wants a daytime sked let me know... and don't forget the first Tuesday in December for 73k tests.

73.
Dave, G3YXM