LF: Osc drift

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Osc drift
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:02:06 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Re my posting earlier this year about excessive jitter in my ICOM 706 Mk II oscillator:

I've checked a number of 706 Mk II and 706 Mk IIG tcvrs, all with the "hi-stab" osc. installed.

II's
Same jitter as mine. Seems to be two different jitters superimposed - one square-wave pulse-like jumping of amplitude 30-50 Hz (at 145 MHz) of period 2-3 mins, the other almost a sinewave amplitude 20-30 Hz period 30 mins or so. The amplitude and frequency of the square-wave is affected by the fan and I could reduce it somewhat by wrapping polyfoam insulation round the osc. Disconnecting the fan made amplitude smaller but did not eliminate it. Both slightly different between different samples.

IIG's
One jitter only - a sawtooth of amplitude 5 Hz (at 145 MHz) with period of 2-3 minutes not linked to the operation of the internal fan. Pretty much the same between samples.

The IIG jitter seems OK considering it would only be 0.005 Hz at 136 kHz but the II would be 0.05 Hz which might or might not matter.
For ordinary HF  SSB/CW operation or FM on 2m neither would matter of course.

Layout of the IIG oscillator/synthesizer board is quite different from the II, also the TCXO for the IIG is much bigger and a different part number. The TCXO for the II is claimed to be a "numerically-controlled" type, that for the IIG is not. Does anyone know the difference? I thought all tcxo's were just thermistor-controlled varactor diodes in series with the crystal.

Seems to indicate ICOM discovered the problem and had to redesign the board to get rid of it. Actually there are also major differences in positioning and layout of other boards and components to the extent that at a quick look you might think they were two different machines.

Have also tested other machines including a Vertex FT-817 which was quite remarkably stable - no jitter and only a slow thermal drift around 20 Hz (at 145 MHz) between 15 and 25 degs Centigrade. It did not have the hi-stab option. The best of the bunch by far was the ICOM 756 PRO Mk II which was totally jitter-free and only drifted 1 Hz (at 50 MHz - does not cover 2m) for an ambient change of 15-25 deg C. There is no hi-stab option for this machine - doesn't need one by the look of it!. Anybody know if it incorporates some drift-cancelling scheme like the Barlow-Wadley loop in the old Racal RA17? Do any others?

Transceiver tests for the mags ought to include a stability check on the oscillator in future.

Walter G3JKV.

---