Re: LF: Dont open "Larry Kayer" msg VIRUS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dont open "Larry Kayer" msg VIRUS
From: "Hugh Burnham" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 07:46:11 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi
Thanks for the warning about the "virus" file.
I have the extensions turned on in the folder options, so things like this
show up better. If you have them hidden it looks just like a .doc file.

I also read a lot mail in Outlook Express by first right clicking the
message in the "in-box",
then selecting "propeties" at the bottom of the menu,
Then selecting the "details" tab,
and finally pressing the "message source" button which is near the bottom.
This allows you to inspect the contents of an E-mail, and read the text,
without "reading" it as such.
The program makes no attempt to decode attachments or display pictures etc.
it is just the raw text that you see, complete with all header information.

Also, I don't know whether you realise that you can just drag an E-mail out
of Outlook Express and drop it into an Explorer window. This creates a file
with a .eml extention, but you can rename it to a .txt and then examine it
with your favourite dos text editor ( I'm so old fashioned !). I use this to
manually "quarantine" messages.

Forgive me if I'm teaching Grandmother to suck eggs here (English idomatic
expression) but it was an eye-opener to some of my collegues at work.

73 and thanks once again for the warning
Hugh M0WYE