LF: Remote waterfall display

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Remote waterfall display
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 20:51:52 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, I have almost succeeded in installing software to upload a waterfall
display of the 136kHz band to my web site at regular intervals (2 -3 mins).
Thanks to assistance from John W1TAG.  The waterfall is a Spectran display
showing 137.8 to 136.1 (backwards as its in lower sideband) There are some
problems to be sorted out yet.

1 It will not automatically refresh when a new image is uploaded, once you
have downloaded the first page.....I need a wizz bit of HTML here I
believe....so you will have to use the refresh button occasionally

2. My location is not marvellous as regards noise, so I do get wiped out
occassionally, in those cases I will probably be running with integation to
average out the noise, and fewer updates.

3 I also have to sort out some of the dialling properties if it ever to run
'unattended' , so that it will automatically dial my site if the line has
become disconnected. At present I initiate a dial-up and sit and watch it !!

4 I dont want to get black-listed by my ISP too quickly, so it will be run
occasionally, when there is likely to be activity, or on request for anyone
that wants to play ...er I mean experiment,  particularly at times when
there is no one to work.

5 Several things I havent discovered yet !!

It will be difficult to decide what strength the signal is from the display
(unless the carrier is still running at the point of capture in which case
the upper trace will give a level.) but in future it may be possibe to use
Wolf's SpectrumLab to upload a signal level reading in a narrow band of
frequencies as Brian does when collecting his plots.

Argo could also be run for displays of QRSS signals.

Anyone interested?? My telephone number is available to those who might
require it, but on a direct e-mail.

The page can be accessed directly
http://www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/periodic.htm
or is linked from my contents page
(I hope the links work properly !)

If the time is more than about 5 minutes behind UK time it is an old
plot....there is no date on the screen I notice. Like a stopped clock, it
will look right once a day !

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]