LF: Re: Re: Re: Ant Questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Ant Questions
From: "Steve Thompson" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:28:01 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: Holger 'Geri', DK8KW <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: 07 October 2002 08:20
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Ant Questions

Hello

>Do not be tempted to droop
> the ends of any top wires.

... I challenge that. My umbrella antenna 18m high with 5 pieces of
top-load
radials sloping downwards (each about 7 m long) works fine (see sketch at
http://www.qru.de/station.htm), with an antenna "gain" of roughly - 30 dB.
One of the key factors that had increased my ERP was to put up my loading
coil 1/3 way up the fiberglas mast so that any losses occuring due to high
voltages due to surrounding trees and walls are reduced.
Firstly I have to admit that my comments are based more on 'thinking about
it' than actually getting wires in the sky. I found time spent working
through ON7YD's pages on aerials (takes a while to do it thoroughly) was
well spent and I came away with a much better understanding of what matters.
There's a section (or maybe a link to a piece) on top loading wires with
some calculated examples of the benefit of top loading wires even if they
hang downwards a bit.

Steve