LF: RE: Re: Re: Ant Questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: Re: Ant Questions
From: "Ashlock,William" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:21:18 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Geri,

Do not be tempted to droop the ends of any top wires.

... I challenge that. My umbrella antenna 18m high with 5 pieces of
top-load
radials sloping downwards (each about 7 m long) **works fine**

It "works fine" to be sure, and it's possible that this is the only physical
shape possible for your surroundings, BUT did you verify that there is no
loss from drooping the top hat radials Vs not drooping the top hat radials?
My experience with many shapes of top hats is that it DOES reduce the
radiation measured in the far field. The theoretical explanation I have seen
is that the effective height is reduced due to the current foldback.

Bill A

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the WorldCom Internet Managed
Scanning Service - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit
http://www.worldcom.com