LF: Re: Vacuum tubes on Motherboards...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Vacuum tubes on Motherboards...
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:19:37 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
John Rabson wrote:

A few years ago, I was restoring an ancient Hallicrafters receiver and
noticed the crisp quality of the audio compared with that of a 1960s
transistorised communications receiver. I spoke to one of the experts at BT
Labs, who suggested that the output transformer might have something to do
with it. Also, the characteristics of a bipolar transistor audio output
stage are _not_ identical to those of a pentode or beam tetrode.

IMHO, the main reason for the more pleasant sound is the IF filter...supposing the '60s receiver
uses a crystal filter, while the Hallicrafters not.
Crystal filters are wonderful in the frequency domain, but terrible performer in the time domain,
while LC filter just the opposite...

73  Alberto  I2PHD