LF: RE: Narrow CW filter using 32kHz clock crystals?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Narrow CW filter using 32kHz clock crystals?
From: "Andy talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:29:32 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
This filter is shown in the LF Experimenters Handbook on page 25, as part of
the outline design for a narrow bandwidth LF receiver.  The frequency
response I measured is given on page 26

If you view the output on a scope and hit it with a signal generator, as you
tune over the passband, the response first appears as a bouncing trace which
grows to its maximum over a few seconds.  A step change causes it to ring
for a few cycles - but bear in mind that all filters (except Gaussian
designs) will ring.  This just happens to be so narrow that the ringing is
clearly visible on a scope - it is a rather surreal experience actually
seeing the transmient response of a crystal filter in real time !

See you spotted the deliberate mistake on the spec,   50kHz impedance

Quite correct, it should of course read 50 k ohm

Andy  G4JNT