LF: (Fwd) John Sexton, G4CNN SK - 21/07/2002

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: (Fwd) John Sexton, G4CNN SK - 21/07/2002
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 06:58:26 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Steve Rawlings GW4ALG attended John's funeral last Monday and sent me the following.

Dave G3YMC

Date sent:              Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:12:00 +0100
From:                   Steve Rawlings <[email protected]>
To:                     Dave Sergeant <[email protected]>
Subject:                John Sexton, G4CNN SK - 21/07/2002

Hi Dave

As mentioned last week, I accepted an invitation from John's family to attend the funeral service.
The funeral service took place on 29th July in the West Chapel at
Reading Crematorium, Caversham.  This sad occasion was brightened a
great deal through the clear skies and brilliant sunshine of that day.

The service was conducted by Richard, John's eldest son.  During the
service, all three of John's children offered personal tributes to
their much-loved father.  Richard, together with his sister, Caroline
and brother, Michael, each recounted aspects of their lives in which
John had provided inspiration; encouragement; and support. They spoke about the uniqueness of their father, and the enormous contribution he
had made to their understanding of the world around them.  They also
spoke of the contributions that John had made during his professional
career - especially in the field of computing.  A field that he
entered in the 1960s.

After the funeral service, we returned to the family home where I
learned that John had become interested in science from a very early
age.  As a teenager he explored the night sky using a succession of
homemade telescopes; and made radio receivers for himself and members
of his family. He also developed an interest in botany and chemistry.
John's brother recalled that John narrowly escaped serious injury
while filling a used shell case with homemade gunpowder.  Apparently
the gunpowder ignited - making quite a bang!  I was also told that
John experimented with making dry cleaning fluid, and 'atom bombs';
although, apparently, none of these projects was successful!

John also had a great interest in languages, and music.  As a young
man, he taught himself to play the piano, and would often entertain
his family by playing the piano with one hand, and playing his
homemade electronic organ with the other!  He was also an adventurer,
and I heard incredible stories abut his holiday trips to Russia,
undertaken many years ago and during a time of much uncertainty. During one particularly sticky moment, his language skills probably
saved his life.

A remarkable man.

With best regards,
Steve GW4ALG