LF: Re: Re: G4JNT and SM6LKM Jason beacons

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: G4JNT and SM6LKM Jason beacons
From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:56:44 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alberto,

I have Jason V0.95 ready for release, but now maybe I could try to
implement
into it that brick-wall limiter you mention John. Do you have any idea why
the
Cool Edit processing didn't work with other files ?

Not really. Of course, you have to keep reminding yourself that only a
narrow slice of spectrum is really important in these applications. One of
the things that made me nervous was that hard clipping might throw garbage
from non-essential areas into that window. Since I run a 250 Hz filter on
the receiver, with an 800 Hz beat note, harmonic generation shouldn't be an
issue, though.

One of my little mysteries with WOLF is that I've had to be gentle with my
use of the "-b" blanking option. Other guys have posted great results with
it really cranked in. This may all tie into this issue of how hard the sound
card is being driven -- not sure.

In any case, I will be in a position to play with my own Jason signal and
Cool Edit over the weekend. I will certainly report any interesting results
(that seem to work on more than one file!).

John Andrews, W1TAG