LF: E-field antennas

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: E-field antennas
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 11:18:41 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, as I understand it the performance of an E-field antenna is more
related to its height of installation above ground that to any effect of the
amplifier. As we all know an amplifier will amplify noise as well as the
signal, its real purpose is to extract a signal efficiently from the very
ofdd impedance of a short wire.  It may well be that this type of aerial is
better suited to the tight filtering necessary to keep the strong stations
in mainland Europe from generating intermodulation, and will also give some
advantages to those without the 'real estate' or mast height to erect wire
aerials. To me this suggests that an E-field antenna at 20m height will work
about as well as a 20m vertical wire......or have I missed something ??  I
suppose if you house is in a clearing amongst tall trees it could have a
distinct advantage over a wire.

I think Derek G3GRO has done some comparative tests?.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]