LF: Re: SAQ Transmission

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: SAQ Transmission
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 11:42:26 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

SAQ was a good signal again this weekend, although the keying sounded different than on previous occasions - as if being sent by hand rather than by machine. As well as using the RA1792 RX plus tuned loop, the electromechanical receiver was brought out again, and worked well.

I had a QSO with SA6Q on 20m shortly after the morning transmission. Eventually, I also had a QSO on 136.8kHz with them as well, with some difficulty - there is some possibility of G0BMU getting a QSL card from SAQ I fear! They were quite a good 559 signal at my QTH, but gave me 429, so it would seem receive conditions were difficult at Grimeton, as on the previous occasions.

I was interested to see PA0SE's field strength measurements - I made a similar measurement on one of the previous broadcasts - the ERP worked out to around 20kW. I'm not sure if the higher figure was due to measurement error, a different power level at SAQ, or different propagation to G and PA - will have to try again next time.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU