LF: RE: re Summer Bonus foul up ! OK now...I hope

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: re Summer Bonus foul up ! OK now...I hope
From: "Andy talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:10:00 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
For a bit more programming practice, allow the user to enter the units as part of the values. eg. type '10u' and '100p' instead of just numbers. Hint, use the INSTR...ANY and MID$ functions in Basic to separate out the numerical and alphabetic parts. Strip out all spurious spaces, make it case insensitive(milli and Mega can be a problem). Many countries use a commas rather than a dot for decimal points.

In fact, make it completely free format so no one can crash it. I've spent many a happy hour making the most bomb-proof user entry code then challenging people to make it fail. Then someone does something so crass that the routine fails and has to be modified further, and you wonder ' how did he ever manage to find that bug'. Its great fun and very addictive - make one think perhaps Microsoft haven't done such a bad job after all.

Andy  G4JNT