LF:Re: Loop questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF:Re: Loop questions
From: "jannsen" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:32:22 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Ashlock,William schrieb:
Hello fellow looper!
Have a few questions on your setup:

>I have a loop 70m long, 12m high and 2m above ground with two windings, >fed at the lower E (east) edge.

>From a Feb 14 message your said you were planning a 3mm Litz loop. Does the
above a loop have this Litz wire? Also, I am interested in the AC loss
resistance you are measuring.

I have run tests a number of loops at 185kHz with 2 to 4 turns and find the
far field radiation is less than when I parallel the same strands together.
The sensitivity to the wind is also less when the strands are in parallel.
Currently my loop is a 4-wire cable with 3mm Litz (well, 3mm including the
silk wrap) and am seeing .38 ohms AC on a 15m x 15m size (3m above gnd).
About .22 ohm of this is soil loss.
Regarding your unusual signal propagation: I have measured the field
strength of my loops out to 125 miles with a portable SVM and mag mount
e-probe antenna at 100s of locations and find no unusual ups or downs in
strength except for the std figure '8' pattern. What's weird is that one of
the guys, 530mi from, here copies my signal (1w into loop) almost 365 days
out of the year, but this is likely the perfect distance for a one hop skip.

Regards,

Bill Ashlock

>some weeks ago I made a field strength test L-aerial (17m mast and 340m longwire 17m to 9m up) contra loop. Geri/DK8KW measured the strength using his MV62.
the loop is erected N/E. DK8KW is located S from here.
result: no difference btwn the aerials as Geri reported (both 20uV/m).
so can one say the (my) loop polarizes vertical (non directional) if used as TX-aerial?

vv. used as RX-antennas loop to L-antenna was -63dBu to -50dBu (indicated by
a RYCOM-rx) receiving DK8KW. receiving Reino/OH1TN (nearly E) RYCOM indicates no difference btwn the two antennas.
but Reino does not hear me if I do use the loop as TX-aerial.
with the L-aerial conn to the TX Reino gives me regular RST 569.

regards
dj8wx/Uwe

Hi Bill,

pse see " qsl.net/dj8wx/00014.html "