LF: PSK31 audio beacon enhancement

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: PSK31 audio beacon enhancement
From: "David Willmore" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:58:46 -0400
Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Sender: <[email protected]>

For those not on the New Jersey QRP mailing list, the project to
which I am refering is http://www.njqrp.org/psk31beacon/psk31beacon.html
It is a small board that uses a Ubicom SX28 with an R2R ladder to generate baseband PSK31 signals.

I'm looking to modify the audio beacon design--with the addition
of a simple little daughter card--to add some more functionality.
For one, it will gain a little EEPROM so that it can be programmed
and not forget thing when it loses power.  Secondly, I want to make
it more flexable so that it will do more modes.
I expect to get it to do:
PSK31 (psk and qpsk)
maybe slower PSK
CW
QRS(S)
Jason
DifCW (there are several kinds)
WOLF

Maybe it will do:
MSK16
RTTY

It will *not* do:
MT63

That I would like to ask is if there is any interest in this?
So, should I only make this for myself or should I expect this
to become a kit some day?

If there is interest, what of the above modes stike your fancy?
Comments are especially appreciated on the 'optional' modes.

I expect to have a small program on a PC that will encode your
mode/message into a small 'program' which is interpreted by the
beacon.  Something like "play this frequency for this long".
That will do CW, DifCW, Jason, QRS(S), RTTY, and--I think--WOLF.

There will need to be a more complex mode to do PSK and QPSK
(and maybe WOLF).

MSK16 will be similar but will have to say "play these *two* tones
for this long".  Being that flexable, it may very well support
new modes that aren't designed yet with a simple upgrade of the
PC software.  *crosses fingers*

I expect to attach 4Kb to 8Kb of EEPROM via a serial connection
to store this info.  I imagine that will provide a reasonably
long enough period for most use.

The real beauty of this design is the low cost.  The base board
is just $25(USD).  I don't expect the add-on to cost more than
half of that (no promises!).  So, that sort of puts it near
the expendable side of things as far as 'unattended beacon getting
hit by lightning' goes.

I hope that the Europeans, with their longer LF/VLF experience,
will be able to contribute some of that experience WRT beacon
operation.  Though, those in NA should have some good information
as that's about all we can do on LF/VLF. :(  But not for long...

Oh, please clip unnecessary groups off of the send list.  I monitor
all of these lists and will summarize/crosspost anything that is
relevant to the other lists.  I don't intend to clog up anyone's
mailbox.

Cheers,
David N0YMV