LF: IEE Paper

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: IEE Paper
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:12:45 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have been asked by RSGB to write a paper for a forthcoming conference
"Getting the Most Out of the Radio Spectrum" sponsored by the Institute of
Electrical Engineers (IEE), to be held 24-25 October 2002 At the IEE, Savoy
Place. London.

The paper (to be presented as a poster session) will be entitled  "Amateur
use of novel signaling methods at low frequencies" and I will cover the
means by which we have used very low bandwidth signalling methods to
overcome problems with low powers and inefficient antennas, and making use
of the stable path at these frequencies for long distance signalling.
Starting from SlowCW through 7FSK / Jason and WOLF.

As it is a poster session, pictures will go down well so some SMT Hell
screen shots will appear as well.

What I would like some help with is this:  During the transatlantic tests,
weren't various discoveries made about the stability of the path which were
related to ionospheric stability ?    I believe some ideas were discussed
regarding skywave propagation and different modes.   Has anyone got a
summary of what was discovered - and could this be described as hitherto
unknown information.

It would be particularly rewarding and do our service a lot of good if it
could be shown that amateurs have made some new discoveries and research in
this area, or have tried techniques that have hitherto not been used - such
as back in the days of the 1920s when the commercial interests were
abandoning LF for HF.  The paper 'has to refelct the title of the
conference' so I need to demonstrate that we are making the most of the LF
bands.   Comments by the reviewers of the abstract are quoted below :

"Paper to give conclusions as to the way forward for further development of
this technique"

"Use by the amateur service of low speed signalling at LF to develop
signalling protocols and explore propagation phenomena. Interesting research
at increasingly unused frequencies.  Such research may help to characterise
these frequencies and expand their potential use.  It is anticipated that
this will be the thrust of the paper. Propagation events are noted, it is
asked that these be characterised, and considered for potential uses, and
how predictable they currently are. It is requested that any potential
applications that have been evaluated or considered are covered in the final
report"

Ideas please.  The deadline for submission of the paper is 13 August so
there are a few weeks yet..........

Andy  G4JNT

"The Information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent correspondence"
"is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s)."
"For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, "
"or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is"
"prohibited and may be unlawful."