LF: Re: Power of Donebach 153kHz TX

To: "LF Group \(E-mail\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Power of Donebach 153kHz TX
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:30:07 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I've just made a check of both Droitwich and Donebach transmissions using
the WatKins Johnson WJ-8711 receiver here at work.  Using the narrowest IF
bandwidth of 56Hz, setting manual gain control, and monitoring the output
tone using Gram on its widest setting I cannot detect any variation in
carrier level with modulation on either of the two transmitters.  The level
meter, which indicates actual signal level, accurately calibrated in dBm,
also shows no significant variation with modulation. There is perhaps 1dB of
variation on Donebach ( due to fading ?)  and nothing on Droitwich.

I'm very sure (read 99.9% certain) Droitwich has no amplitude modulation -
viewing it on a vectorscope in the past shows only the phase variation.  So
perhaps you are seeing some secondary effects introduced by the receiver ?

Andy  G4JNT

I am pretty sure Donebach uses some form of controlled carrier modulation, apart from the phase modulation mentioned by Walter.

Our Dutch MF transmittters at 747kHz and 1008kHz are also made by Telefunken (400kW at daytime). The 747kHz transmitter uses controlled carrier to save power and expenses; the 1008kHz one does not. The carrier at 747kHz, as measured by the SPM-12 at 25Hz bandwidth, shows the same kind

of fluctuations as the Donebach one, the 1008kHz carrier is steady.

R>emarkable is Droitwich at 198kHz. There the carrier goes downward during
modulation!

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
subject to monitoring and auditing."
Dear Walter & the LF-Group,

Today I tried to measure the field strength of Donebach at 153kHz again.

I am pretty sure Donebach uses some form of controlled carrier modulation, apart from the phase modulation mentioned by Walter.

Our Dutch MF transmittters at 747kHz and 1008kHz are also made by Telefunken (400kW at daytime).  The 747kHz transmitter uses controlled carrier to save power and expenses; the 1008kHz one does not. The carrier at 747kHz, as measured by the SPM-12 at 25Hz bandwidth, shows the same kind of fluctuations as the Donebach one, the 1008kHz carrier is steady.

Remarkable is Droitwich at 198kHz. There the carrier goes downward during modulation!

The varying carrier strength of Donebach makes it difficult to read the meter of the SPM-12. But the instrument has at the back a "DC output"  that is proportional to the measured value (so it is not  DC a purist will remark). I fed that voltage to an oscilloscope and noted the maximum deflection, which also cannot be read  accurately because of the wild jumps of  the deflection with the modulation. I then replaced the loop aerial by a HP606B signal generator, tuned it to 153kHz and adjusted the output to the same deflection. The generator voltage was then 20 microvolt. With a 1 x 1m single turn untuned loop this means the field strength of Donebach is 6.25 microvolt/m. Using the CCIR groundwave curve for "Land" (conductivity 30mS/m; dielectric constant 40) the power of Donebach follows as
200kW EMRP.
The aerial efficiency is given by  Walter as 88%.  This indicates a transmitter power of 200/0.88 =
227kW.
Perhaps, as suggested by Walter, there is only one 250kW transmitter in operation. What with the uncertainties involved and the fact the aerial system is not omnidirectional the 200kw EMRP looks to me like a plausible result, taking into account the uncertainties involved in the process.

As a check I inserted in G4GFQ's groundwave propagation computer program P = 227kW,  efficiency of the transmit aerial 88%, pastoral ground (number 5) and distance 435km. The field strength came out as 5.33 microvolt/m, which differs 1.4dB with my measured value.

73, Dick, PA0SE