LF: RE: Re: RE: Vertical angles

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: RE: Vertical angles
From: "Ashlock,William" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:04:12 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Mike,

>When several UK stations used loop antennas, I noticed that they had
fading
>at much shorter distances than those using Marconis. This was at about
>300km, whereas Marconi users experience fading at about 500km.

Possibly due to lower output?

No, I really mean fading, not weaker signal. The fading was typically slow -
perhaps over 30-60 seconds.

Very interesting!

Therefore the location of the feedpoint does not effect the wave angle.

So, presumably my first theory is correct - loops have a higher angle of
radiation than Maconis.

For sure! What I would really like to do is entice someone to transmit on
both a loop and a vertical at the same time with a frequency separation that
is small enough to be seen on an ARGO screen - then determine how the
signals compare on a minute by minute basis from different captures via the
ionosphere. I probably could do this myself using my old vertical hardware
and old antenna location but the efficiency of the vertical compared to the
loop would be down at least 6 dB due to the big deQing problem at the only
location I have for the top hat sort-of free of trees. A lot of captures
that guys normally make of my signal at 400 - 500mi during the winter season
can probably live with the 6db handicap, though.
73,
Bill A

Mike, G3XDV

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. For further information visit
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/