Re: LF: More Info? - Re: Strange signals on 25 Hz (!) - any info ?

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: More Info? - Re: Strange signals on 25 Hz (!) - any info ?
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 02:24:59 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Cesare, Bill and group,

From WD8ARZ:
> Could those that are hearing
> these signals please comment on the locations
> where they are receiving from?
> Also what kind of receiver and antenna system if you dont mind.

The signal was clearly received in nothern Italy. At my own QTH in northern DL, there are some occasional traces at 25 Hz but they are too weak to be identified as 1-second dots and 4-second gaps, but I am only monitoring ELF and VLF occasionally.
Renato (IK1QFK) received the strange signal with a marconi antenna, can be considered an active E-field probe at these frequencies. Antenna details can be found at his VLF OpenLab community's site which is:
    http://www.vlf.it/

From Cesare I5TGC:
> The Signal you receive is like a telephon call, some old systems use a 25 Hz a.c.
> with one second duration and 4 seconds space. Nevertheless it is very difficult
> that these signals can reach your receiver.
Thanks Cesare for this interesting info. I will pass it on and ask Renato if he has one of those wonderful old open-wire telegraph lines in line-of-sight ... maybe some private railroad company still use them.

Regards,
 Wolf  DL4YHF.