Re[2]: LF: May 2-4 KN97LN Activity

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re[2]: LF: May 2-4 KN97LN Activity
From: "john sexton" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 06:50:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: <[email protected]>
From the 2 - 4 May, the RU6LWZ team made their last LF activity field trials of the 2001-2 season.

At the end of April the weather in this region became very favourable for agricultural work and on the 30th the fields we had been using were fully occupied by farming activities.

On the 2nd of May we had to take down our Big vertical and that's why we weren't transmitting, on the 2nd. However instead we managed to mount some HF antennas on the summit of "Machty" (a local hill/mountain? Translator).
We expect to be able to re-start our activities on LF around the end of September.

I hope that the summer break on LF will allow us to better prepare and that the 2002-03 season will be more successful as measured by the number of QSOs achieved including new ones.

For our intended activity during 2-4 May, several teams and individual Russian Hams had prepared to join forces on LF, but the only success came from RK2FWA. RK2FWA is the call sign of a very well known contest club from Kaliningrad (UA2 is a separate country in DXCC). RW2F takes part in the contests.

The boys from RK2FWA (UA2FF, RN2FA) are some of the first to start to use LF in Russia during 2000.

Thanks to all for support and help in mastering LF and for not being over critical of our lack of much success so far.

We still need to better understand the sources of interference at our QTH, but we have come to realise that we don't live in the best place for LF with very powerful sources of QRM on our doorstep which come from many different directions.

Question: Does anyone use an electromechanical filter on LF between the pre-selector and the Rx?
We got hold of an experimental filter with a bandwidth of 2.1 kHz at the 3dB level and a centre frequency of 136.75 kHz.
Reduction outside the band is more than 70 dB. We inserted it after a high quality third order Elliptic Band-pass filter. First impressions are hopeful, but there are uncertainties about its use with ARGO at the edge of the band. Does anyone have experimental experience with the use of such filters on LF?

I realise that a crystal filter would most probably be better, but so far we have only managed to build an elecromechanical filter.

Until we meet again on LF for the 2002-03 season.
73! Ed RU6LA mailto:[email protected]

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com