LF: pegelmesser

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: pegelmesser
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:32:50 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have today been testing a Siemens Pegelmesser D2155 as a LF receiver.
Freq range 200 hz - 620 khz. B/widths 20 hz and 3.1 khz. Mode lsb/usb.
This instrument makes a fb LF receiver for 73 and 136 khz, with the narrow 20 hz filter and superb sensitivity. With my 90 metre perimiter loop and vertical I have to throttle the RF attenuater well back even on the weakest signals. The Siemens and the W & G spm-12 peform about the same.
I intend to use both for space diversity reception, one fed by the vertical and the other the loop, then combine the af outputs.
I hope to hear some transatlantic signals later on in the year with this setup. These selective pegelmessers outperform any other receiver that I tried on LF, including the FT1000mp/ FT847/IC746/IC706/TS850/TS50, the performance of these receivers are acceptable and some are much better than others but sensitivity is generally poor on LF, and selectivity with the normal 200 hz filter is too wide, although those with DSP are better.
I use a DSP processer but it is not really necessary with those pegelmessers fitted with 20/25 hz filters.
Pegelmessers in mint/execllent condition are not cheap but compared to alternatives which were never designed for LF working are better value.
73 de Mal/G3KEV