LF: Your litz wire comments

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Your litz wire comments
From: "PC" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:03:02 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim and the group

I am going to build a loop here for the lowfer band here in the states.  A
while back Jim wrote a post about making your own litz wire. I  recall that
it mentioned twisting the wire with a drill and then twisting sets of these
wire to get the desired size of Litz required.

He also mentioned something about one cannot just lay the wires parralel and
expect it to perform as a Litz wire would.

Can you you explain please what that effect was ?  Mutual Conductance
perhaps?  Here is the reason I ask.

I have access to Telephone company multi pair wire. many sizes but lets just
talk about 25 pair # 24 wire.
The square loop I propose would have a primeter of 200'    200 feet of #24
wire has a DC resistance of 5.134 Ohms.
Divide that by the 50 wires in a 25 pair cable and you have a DC loss of
.102 Ohms.

Using a diameter of .0201" for the  #24 wire X the 50 wire in parallel there
would be an effective diameter of 1" or a surface area of  PI  * 1" or
3.14".  There by lower the radiation resistace of the antenna.

Would some care to comment on this idea on wether some or all of it have
merit?

Thank you kindly

Paul A.Cianciolo
W1VLF

This seems to be an effective coductor for use in an LF loop