Re: LF: TX Loop antenna conductors

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TX Loop antenna conductors
From: "John Sexton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:16:36 -0800 (PST)
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Bill,

I find the usual formula for the ratio of Rac/Rdc = d*sqrt(mu*f/rho) very
unsatisfactory for small diameters, since as d gets smaller the ratio cannot
get less than 1. The same is true for low values of frequency. Instead I use a
couple of series approximations to the Bessel functions.
So I checked your figures and found for AWG #12 at 185kHz, a ratio of 3.6 and for #8 a ratio of 5.56, quite close but slightly higher than your figures.
The point you made is of course why it is better to use properly made Litz wire
to keep the advantage of thicker wire.

73, John, G4CNN