LF: Junk mail via lf reflector

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Junk mail via lf reflector
From: "Holger 'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:34:31 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello LF-Group,

There have been a number of instances recently (one today) of spam being
sent via the
lf reflector.  The reflector is in fact configured so that anybody can
post (try it
with one of your alternate email addresses), but obviously only those
subscribed will
receive postings.  Perhaps it is time to change this, ie so that only
those
subscribed can post.

... I believe the reason for this spam-mail is that some of us (me
included) have posted the rsgb reflector e-mail address on their websites,
so that new LF hams have access to this valuable tool to exchange
information.

Obviously some meta-crawlers search the Internet and try to find useful
e-mail addresses where they can send their spam mail to. It also happens
from time to time that I get mail to my own e-mail address that I posted as
a contact address at my website.

I think Dave's suggestion to limit the access to this reflector to
subscribers would stop this.

Vy 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)