LF: Re: [Lowfer] HP 3586b SVM and HPIB/GPIB interface

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [Lowfer] HP 3586b SVM and HPIB/GPIB interface
From: "James M. Walker" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:48:34 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Paul and List,
I also have an HP 3586B with High stability 10 Mhz, and GPIB. I am setting
it up for use on the 600 Meter Research
Group frequencies, one of which is 166.5 Khz per the License. I have written
some Assembly Language code unfortunately
for most folks it only runs on my Software development system (Isbc-86/30).
The main board has the GPIB interface
in the form of a Isbx board which has the 7210 gpib control chip on it. I am
maintaining control of the HP 3586B and
a PTS 250 synthesizer also with GPIB interface.

I have the 3586 running well and picking up signals, I am also working on an
impedance transformer to switch from
50 ohms to 75 ohms for it. I have not tried the transmit (signal output)
capabilities yet but that is also in the works.

I may rewrite the code to run on "PC" type computers, but I don't know when
that will be. This system works great so far
and since the computer system has a linear power supply and the units are
well shielded I get little or no "computer noise"
in the receiver while doing weak signal listening, and this thing works the
"Berries" for copying CW on 40 meters, lots
of DX in the noise that my other receivers don't hear.

If I can help with software directions or hints let me know, also pictures
of my 3586B are at
http://eshop1.chem.buffalo.edu/600MRG.html

73
Jim