Re: LF: Ground loss

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ground loss
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:59:32
Sender: <[email protected]>
Now I have simple LC VFO as master oscillator in my TX. I think that
frequency stability is not adequate for QRSS. Is it so? I am not familar
with QRSS. If I'll find XTALL for this frequency it will be posible to
try. Distance seems to be very large for conventional CW. My QTH loc is
MO64RX.

Hello Alex,

You are in the range of 4000 to 4700 km of most European LF stations. That
might be a bit too much for normal CW. But trans-atlantic tests in the past
years have shown that with a few 100mW ERP it is possible to copy QRSS
signals over a range of 5000 to 6500km. And you have the advantage that you
have a rather northern location, so even this time of the year there a a
good 'dark path'.
Regarding the VFO : a drift of no more than few Hz/hour is required for 3
to 10 sec. dotlength, a VXO or PLL is prefered but a good VFO might do it.

Maybe the best way to start is by trying to receive some 136kHz signal from
Europe. There are several strong stations that were copied in USA and
Canada on regular based last winter, if you have a good RX-antenna, a
receiver that goes down to 136kHz and a computer with soundcard you can
arrange skeds with them.
If you copy them you can try a crossband QSO ...

Good luck,

73, Rik  ON7YD