LF: RE: transmitting loops

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: transmitting loops
From: "Ashlock,William" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:28:45 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Rik,

I am trying to find out is how one can calculate the loop
inductance of a big transmitting loop (based on the dimensions).
I found 2 formulas for the calculation of a 1 turn coil, but both mention
the dimensions in cm, so I don't know if they are usable for big loops.

Does someone has a formula that has proven to be usable for big loops?

I use the formulas for inductance found in the loop section all late
editions of the ARRL Antenna Books (too hairy to show here; the formula
<G>), and it IS in cm. The accuracy is fairly close to my measured values.
For example, I calculate 109uh for a #12 (2mm) square loop having 50'x 50'
dimensions. The third term in the formulas will turn out to be insignificant
for loops this big.
I also checked this formula against my 1/2" 50' x 50' cooper pipe loop
inductance and it came out close to the measured 84uh.
Bill A

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for
the presence of known computer viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. However, it is still recommended that you use
local virus scanning software to monitor for the presence of viruses.