Re: LF: Loop questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loop questions
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:56:16 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Clearly the use of large transmitting loops is outside the terms of the lowfer
licence in the US.  However use of a receive type loop with many turns of
thinish
wire (litz or not) for transmitting is not the way to go.  To get a signal in
the air
requires a large single (or at most two) turn loop with thick wire.  I have
used this
technique to some success on 136 as many of you will know, and my website
details my
experiences.  The aim is the same as with any transmit antenna - to get the
resistive
losses as low as possible related to the radiation resistance.  For this I use
30A
speaker cable and the resistance of my 33m circumference single turn loop is
0.65
ohms.  Loop current has been measured as 8A at 35W, they are not high impedance
devices!  And matching to the feeder must be at the feedpoint to eliminate
resistive
losses in the feeder which will be very significant.

See my site for more details.

73s Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
[email protected]