LF: RE: GPS Coherent PSK Transmission / Mystery signal

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: GPS Coherent PSK Transmission / Mystery signal
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:54:43 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Got G4JNT's PSK signal sequence again, quite straightforward once I had figured out it was 30 bits long. The spectrogram method is definitely easier than the oscilloscope phase comparison since you don't have to watch it constantly. The phase transitions are quite clear so long as the signal is strong enough compared to the streaks caused by QRN - I used Spectrum Lab with a resolution of about 0.04Hz (ie what I would use for QRSS30 reception). With this, the signal appears as a steady line with a series of "beads" on it corresponding to the phase transitions - think of a strong QRSS signal, then fill in the spaces between dots with a carrier and you get the idea. Wider resolution(ie shorter dot lengths) shows the transitions more sharply if the signal is strong enough, but higher resolution blurs the transitions too much.The display lags behind the actual phase transitions by about 10 or 15s - I suppose it takes this long for the FFT data to accumulate.

I also investigated the "south coast mystery signal" - I got a carrier on 136646.7Hz, drifting perhaps 0.1Hz low overnight. The bearing obtained with a loop was roughly 55/235 degrees - which on my map is a line through my QTH passing through Lowestoft to the NE, and Dorchester to the SW. The signal level did not change by more than a couple of dB between night and morning, so probably not a DX signal.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU