Re: LF: First Jason QSO?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: First Jason QSO?
From: "gii3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:27:32 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Dave Pick wrote:

Dear all. 1515 utcI have just worked Wolf DF0WD with 100% copy using Jason both ways. Wolf was running 50W and I was running 150W.
Confirm the above QSO

Wolf's signals were audible here but a heavy noise level would have rendered CW copy very difficult.

Wolf's signal was S6 with me and would be no problem to copy on normal CW, Dave's signal S9 and needed attenuation at my end.

He would have been a good "O" copy on QRSS3.It is very nice to leave the receiver running and come back from the kitchen with a nice cup of tea to find the next over printed on the screen, very lazy way of working!

Its a pity you mentioned the word LAZY, another LAZYMANS CW MODE but interesting to watch
I still think apart from normal CW the next best thing is  QRS CW. It can be copied aurally when strong enough, and viewed on a screen directly by the human without another layer of decoding, which is required with these other modes.
It is the same problem with morse readers that are in use, the raw CW can be copied directly by the
receiving operator manually but by using another decoding layer by the morse reader, often the copy
is corrupted or garbled and takes some time to recover. Jason although trying to overcome this problem by using a tone generated system still allows garbled copy when hit by noise, and the random noise
does generate tones unfortunately that are permitted to be copied.
I do not suppose there is a perfect solution, even with forward error correction transmissions, there are corruptions although minimual but their problem is grinding to a halt virtually because if the received signal bit does not meet the criteria then it could take hours to receive this bit of info before the  next bit is transmitted etc.
Its all good fun and thats about it.
G3KEV

  73.DaveG3YXM