Re: LF: RE: SMT Devices

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: SMT Devices
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:21:19 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>

Andy:

There was a techniques described a couple of years ago for using these chips
dead bug style.  Mount the chip upside down on a piece of unetched PCB.
Bend the grounding pins down and solder directly to the groundplane.

This is how I built my first Intel 4004 back in 1972. My list of opcodes was a type written list and it took three months work to get this little darling to print out the first "A" on an ancient Chicago Teletype Corp Model 33 printer. Three more months and some additional memory it was controlling the OSCAR VI satellite for me (which I did for over 5 years hi). We had raging debates in a local eatery on the use of the different opcodes. We set the clock with 74121's with a scope and pots, with the two phase overlapping timing used to drift and eventually the thing would stop working at times. Dead bug work here goes back a long way hi.

It takes a lot of courage to work for weeks and then turn it on to see if you "got it right"!!!!

Larry
VA3LK