LF: RE: Reference Osc. Waveform

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Reference Osc. Waveform
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:34:51 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
The AD9850 wants a (nominal) 0 - 5V squarewave waveform, the duty cycle is
not important.  You haven't specified the absolute voltage levels in your
diagram below, but if it is nominally a TTL type of signal it may work.  In
practice though, I've found the AD9850 will work with input waveforms a lot
worse than the specs call up. In some cases a 3Vpk-pk waveform will operate
it provided som DC bias is added.

The best way to correct an arbitrary shaped waveform to suitable levels is
to pass it through a buffer, such as a 74AC14 Schmitt trigger gate.  This
particular logic family will go to about 150MHz.  If you DC bias the input
at a point between its two hysteresis levels then AC couple the signal, the
buffer will respond to signals of less than 1V pk-pk.   For higher gain,
couple to a 74HC04 inverter, biassed into linear operation with a resistor
of a few 10s or 100s of k ohms between output and input.

In retrospect it would have been a good idea to add a clock buffer on that
DDS module, and space for a TTL oscillator module,

Andy  G4JNT