LF: LF antenna gain

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LF antenna gain
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:04:21 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Could one of you experts help me with the following please:

A short vertical monopole antenna over perfect ground has a gain relative to isotropic of 4.8 dB.
A half-wave dipole in free space has a gain rel. isotropic of 2.15 dB
Therefore, a monopole should have a gain of 2.65 dB over a dipole.
So the theory goes............

But look at the qualifier on the short vertical gain - it has to be operating over "perfect ground". No amateur has "perfect ground"; at least not that I am aware of. I haven't heard of anyone laying out 36 radials 550 metres long under his antenna (not even G3KEV.......yet!)

So nearly all the energy that goes into the ground is dissipated and does not return to the feedpoint. Therefore it cannot reinforce the radiation pattern. In that case, does the theoretical gain still hold?

Gain is only obtained from directivity. Directivity can be calculated from physical considerations but the equation to obtain gain from directivity is G = e*D , where G = power gain, D = directivity, and e = radiated power/total power. The "gains" quoted above are actually theoretical directivity figures but they assume that e = 1, that is, that there are no ground losses (as the definition states) and that accordingly gain is the same as directivity.

Not so in an average amateur situation, where e = 1/1000 (1w radiated for 1000w input) so G = 0.001*4.8 = .0048 dB. In other words, the average amateur LF antenna is no better than isotropic.

Or should I be ignoring earth losses and only counting copper losses?

Walter G3JKV.