Re: LF: Tesla Coil as an antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Tesla Coil as an antenna
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:05:23 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 09:14 29/01/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Hello,
  I have not experimented in a while with my partially built tesla coil, but
has anyone used their Tesla coil as an antenna for ELF or other Freqs? If we
try to use it for 137 KHz how do you determine ERP?
Dear Tom, LF group,

Well, occasionally I have inadvertently used my LF antenna as a Tesla coil :-) But seriously, The Tesla coil is essentially a helical antenna (see ON7YD's LF antenna web pages http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/136ant.htm ). So if it is several metres tall, and you can persuade it to resonate on 136kHz, it might make a usable LFantenna. Of course, you would want to avoid the discharges that occur in the normal Tesla coil mode of operation, since these generate QRM and absorb lots of RF power.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU