Re: LF: Ampliphase

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ampliphase
From: "David Sparvell" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:48:40 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Sorry about what is now becoming an OT thread.

Steve said:-

On reflection, the same could be achieved very much more simply nowadays.

But remember the Ampliphase dates back to a time before the advent of a
practical PWM modulator. Given the ability to control high voltages and
currents with solid state switches, I can't see the Ampliphase concept being
translated into a modern commercial design.

Although a solid state modulator would be vastly superior to the original
valve unit, it still needs a high degree of skill to keep it at peak
performance. Remember the Ampliphase was called "The Transmitter which
Broadcast Engineers loved to hate!".

However, having said that, I take my hat off to the originators of the
Ampliphase system for their "lateral thinking" to solve what was seen a
shortcoming in traditional AM transmitter designs of that era.

By the way, does anyone know of the current fate of the Ross Revenge?

Regards

David G4FTC