LF: Re: waste

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: waste
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:02:34 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
john currie wrote:

Hi Alberto,  It's not just nostalgia.  I, for example favor
dfcw, because it is superior to cw because the dash length is shortened
to be  the same as the dot length.
[...]

Hi John,
   certainly DFCW is superior to straight CW for the reasons you mention.
About 7FSK, I said that I consider it not optimal, and, if decoded visually,
I agree that it can be confusing and not adding much value.
But the key stands in 'if decoded visually'. The greatest advantages of
m-ary FSK and PSK can be obtained when the decision is done algorithmically,
without subjective judgements. And, in addition, more robust coding schemes
could be adopted. But, in spite of this, I see favourably the introduction of
this mode, provided that some frequency discipline is adopted (an easy task),
as it marks the rescission of the umbilical cord with CW, at least for
weak-signal
operations, where CW is not up to the task. For leisure QSOs, CW will
reign for many, many years to come, I am sure.

73 es HNY  Alberto  I2PHD