LF: 73k Last night/136k tonight

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73k Last night/136k tonight
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:04:56 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Thanks for the reports on the 73k Beacon last night. It would appear that Laurie's extra few dB of ERP makes all the difference, and also that QSB is something of a limiting factor with very long dot lengths, as was the case with 136k last winter.

Running the 73k TX in Wolf mode should be OK; I have not done it before, but all the necessary circuitry is in place. I am not sure how effective it would be - earlier in the year I compared Wolf to QRSS by adding white noise to locally generated signals and comparing the SNR required to produce usable signals with each mode. The result of this was that Wolf worked at signal levels that would produce readable QRSS with 30 - 60 second dots. At this level, the advantage was with Wolf in that it is much quicker than QRSS30, however there is a fairly sharp threshold between Wolf producing perfect copy and no copy at all. So I suspect that, in it's current form, Wolf would not be able to produce any copy with the signals I can achieve on 73k. However, there are many variables, and if people are interested, I could try running a Wolf beacon on 73k. I would need to know what frequency would be suitable - the bandwidth of the BPSK signal is much wider than QRSS of course, and so a reasonably clear 40Hz or so would have to be identified on the western side of the pond before making a realistic attempt.

I like VE1ZJ's idea of simultaneous 73k and 136k tests - So I think I will try a 136kHz beacon tonight, assuming Laurie and/or Peter can be QRV on 73k this evening, hopefully we can take advantage of the current fairly good conditions. I will try 135.923kHz, QRSS30 with approx 1W ERP, from about 2230 onwards, unless anyone has a better idea.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU