LF: 73kHz propagation monitoring

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz propagation monitoring
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:12:06 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
John Andrews, W1TAG, said:

Laurie disappeared over an hour ago, and there was no convincing sign of
Peter by that time, so I'll assume that the ionosphere has moved on to
deeds
of more exalted usefulness. We just don't seem to get more than one
spectacular night at a time, which may be valuable information in its own
right.

Our knowledge of propagation  for 73kHz is not as good as it was for 136kHz.
On the tests with John, VE1ZJ, on 136kHz we had the advantage of the CFH
transmitter, which was close in frequency and path direction and length. By
monitoring CFH, Alan was able to make some good predictions. In addition we
were able to monitor this and inform John by HF link and therefore were able
obtain instant feedback of when a good propagation peak was approaching.
Laurie provides good beacon on 73kHz but only tell us what is going on above
a certain level. In addition it requires considerable transmitting effort by
Laurie - there might be a better way.

When I switched off my transmitter last night at 0115 I received Lauries
beacon at S9+5dB on the S meter. I tuned to the Rugby RTTY and it was coming
in at S9+45dB. Laurie is about 15 miles to the West of  me; Rugby is
100miles to the North - this will give the North American and Canadian guys
some idea of the strength of the 73.3kHz transmission from Rugby.

Could this transmission be used to monitor 73.3kHz on a regular basis?
Perhaps it has and it has somehow passed me by!

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>

Web <http://web.ukonline.co.uk/g3ldo>