Re: LF: SpecLab generates DFCW, QRSS and 7FSK

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: SpecLab generates DFCW, QRSS and 7FSK
From: "jannsen" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:10:28 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
[email protected] schrieb:
Hi SpecLab co-users,

Wolf's powerful program has a built-in terminal for digital modes for a SSB TRX. One of them is a Parallel-Multitone Hell modulator, which generates tones from the typefaces of text entered into the terminal. Combined with a font editor (e.g. Softy by D.W.Emmett), this becomes a universal tool to play with visual modulation schemes. The resulting tones are individually phase-coherent and can be soft-shaped to avoid clicks.

For narrowband DFCW, I have prepared a font consisting of two lines of dashes and gaps. To use it, you have to copy the .fon file to the Windows\Fonts directory. After starting SpecLab and the digimode terminal, you can choose "DFCW" and enter Size = 1 in the Settings / Select HELL font menu. In Digimode Configuration, you select Parallel MT mode and then set Symbol Rate, TX Center Freq and FSK shift. For example, a symbol rate of 0.05 baud gives 3*20s dashes and 20s intervals. The dash and dot frequencies are related to the settings as
  f_H = CF+ FS * 4/8 and
  f_L = CF+ FS * 3/8,
e.g. CF = 1422 Hz and FS = 0.8 Hz produces 1422.4 / 1422.3 Hz tones. An output level of 800% will give full scale DAC output, and the Symbol shaping time can be set for smooth edges (e.g. 20%).

After you have pressed TX, any text entered will be sent to the audio output. Please don't look for all the special Morse characters, "sk" can be sent by typing # . Normally, the audio input and waterfall is automatically disabled during transmission, but you can reactivate it for duplex mode by clicking on the Sound-In box in the SpecLab Components diagram. To see your own signal as well, you may have to set up an analog loop by enabling Wave input in Windows' recording mixer.

The other fonts are for CW/QRSS and the new 7FSK mode. For CW, simply set FS to 0 and CF to the desired audio note. The 7FSK freqs are f7 = CF + FSK * 4/8
  f3 = CF
  f2 = CF - FSK * 1/8
  f1 = CF - FSK * 2/8,
e.g. CF = 2289.85 and CF = 1.2 above 135500 Hz zero beat gives Andy's set of frequencies.

I have decided to add an extra space after each 7FSK pair. This does slow down the mode by a third, but it allows easier synchronization for the RX as well as QSK to watch between characters on the TX site, and it gives the PA a rest.

Tnx agn to DL4YHF for SpecLab.

Happy experimenting
de Markus, DF6NM

Hi Markus,
have had a good time experimenting with the SpecLab implementations CW, DFCW es 7FSK from the HELL-machine. great idea. tks so much for the realization. for test purposes I filled the trx window with any text parts accidentally found as file in my PC. But it was not satisfactory.

testing the 7FSK mode I filled the trx window with thousends of "G`s" and observed the transmission in my summerhouse. but the transmission stopped during observation. the trx letters were exhausted. any idea how I can get a "endlosschleife" installed ? what is it in english, "endless loop" ?

regards and gl in 2002
Uwe/dj8wx