LF: Aerial system resistance at PA0SE

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Aerial system resistance at PA0SE
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 16:22:19 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear OM,

After M0BMU, G3NYK and ZL2CA I also measured the resistance of my aerial/earth system.

The aerial is a dipole of 2 x 20m with 11m open line feeder. See attachment. The two legs of the dipole slope down from 18m to about 14m at the ends and in the horizontal plane are at an angle of 100 degrees (it is a V-beam on 20m). For LF the feederlines are strapped together to convert the aerial into a T. The top is at 18m; the lower end of the feeder line at 7m (ending in the shack). There the aerial is connected to the loading/matching coil. Its bottom end is connected to the central heating system. The gas pipe feeding the boiler in the attic leads to the gas mains that is used as  earth electrode. The gas pipe carries the full aerial current and so forms part of the radiating system. The capacitance of the aerial is 385pF at 136kHz.
The aerial without coil resonates at 1945kHz with a resistance of 52.6 ohms. Would not be too bad for topband!
It is a rather complicated system due to the capacitance between the vertical part (the feeder lines) and the mast and because of the central heating system with its radiators and pipes around the house, connected to the gas pipe that acts as part of the radiating system.

I used a Wayne Kerr admittance bridge that shows the admittance as a conductance in millimhos (now called millisiemens) in parallel with a capacitance in pF.
I left the C-control at zero because the aerial resistance was measured at resonance. Jim, M0BMU, has clearly explained why this is the better way.
As source and detector I used a Wandel & Goltermann signal generator SP-12 and selective level meter SPM-12. They can be interconnected so the SPM-12 also controls the frequency of the SP-12. Because in this way source and detector are always tuned to exactly the same frequency I could use the SPM-12 at its 25Hz bandwidth position which helped to avoid strong signals and noise received by the aerial polluting the measurements.

The coil has taps after every ten turns. I shortcircuited increasing parts of the coil using those taps. (I also tried leaving the unused part open. But as the used part became smaller and the unused part larger the voltage at the top end of the coil increased more and more, rendering the system extremely sensitive to hand capacitance effect).
At each tap the frequency for resonance was sought and the conductance read from the bridge.

The resistance of the coil at each tap was found by replacing the aerial by a variable vacuum capacitor. The capacitor was adjusted until resonance was obtained. The high Q of the coil made tuning extremely critical; in fact hand capacitance made it impossible to tune precisely to the resonance frequency. Fortunately the frequency of the PS-12/SPM-12 combination can be adjusted in very small steps and this was used to tune exactly to the resonance frequency.

The accuracy of the following R-values is limited because the aerial wires moved a bit in the wind which caused the needle of the detector to jump wildly about when the null of the bridge was approached.

Frequency  Resistance
kHz                  ohms
126.5                    40.4
132.1                    36.8