LF: Re: G8RW/ Litz wire

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: G8RW/ Litz wire
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:05:23 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

>From G3YMC
>  but the situation as  I understand it.  It is
> rather interesting to note that many of the early operators
> on 136 were ex top band
> operators.  It seems most of these have now returned there.

From G4JNT

I thought a lot of the early operators on 73kHz (long before this new
fangled high frequency 137kHz band arrived :-) came from the microwave
bands

I came to LF from the upper HF bands (microwaves as far as 73kHz is
concerned). My first 2X 73kHz DX contact was with G4JNT on 23/8/97 using CW,
over a distance of 57km. No one down here came specifically from top band
and I had not operated on that band since 1959.

On a different subject does anyone know of the correct designations for Litz
wire. The wire that came from the Decca coils is 3mm diameter (4mm with
insulation) and has around 850 separate .2mm conductors. (the wire count is
an estimation).
Some other wire I have from the Crawley club is 1.5mm diameter (2.7 mm with
insulation) and has approximately 200 .2mm wires.
I am sure I have seen designations for Litz but I can't remember where.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>

Web <http://web.ukonline.co.uk/g3ldo>