LF: Missing IC Function (off topic)

To: "LF Group \(E-mail\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Missing IC Function (off topic)
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:38:40 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Does anyone know of a chip that does the following function :

A serially loaded high-sided driver several outputs, with outpult voltage
rating greater than 15V and current > 100mA.   The sort of function that
would normally be met by a latched shift register plus a handful of medium
current PNP devices or P channel FETs.

The only ones I can find are the UCN5810/1/2 or UCN6809-1868.   family and
they are only rated at 25mA.due to Vce drop across emitter follower NPN
drivers.  Are there any in the 100 to 500mA rating ?

I'm sure there must be a huge number of designers who want this in a single
chip, and it can hardly be a difficult IC fabrication task.  It is surely
possible to fabricate medium current PNP transistors on the same die as NPN.
There are quintillions of the NPN equivalent low sided switch - just about
every micro controller to relay interface uses one !

(Needed to automatically switch power rails to a range of VCO modules
depending on frequency, in a wide band synthesizer under computer controll)

Andy  G4JNT

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.