LF: Re: QRSS on 80m, Antenna losses, 73k Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: QRSS on 80m, Antenna losses, 73k Beacon
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:59:24 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Re: QRSS on 80m - Sounds like fun, I will try to receive it later on. Earlier in the year I was able to copy Bill Ashlock's WA, one of the US "Hifer" beacons around 13.555MHz, running similar power levels and 3s/dot QRSS.

Re: Measuring antenna Q - as has been pointed out, you would need to know the source impedance of the TX; for many transmitters, as well as not being known at the outset this is probably non-linear (ie. varies depending on load), so if you wanted to do it this way, some kind of attenuating pad between TX output and antenna would be advisable. This would also reduce the amount of distress the TX is subjected to.

Re: 73kHz - I note there has been another almost X-class flare today, however the geomagnetic storm seems to have died down, and Alan has convinced me that propagation will definitely be marvellous, so I will give the beacon another go tonight. It will be on QRSS120, 72.4018kHz again.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU