Re: LF: QRSS on 80m (off band)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRSS on 80m (off band)
From: "Johan Bodin" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:06:10 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Uwe,

*many!!!* thanks for the report! The screen shot speaks for itself!
Where are you located?

Multipath fading, Doppler shift and other ionospheric evilness works
against us but nevertheless, QRSS seems to work on HF too!

My current beacon uses a sloppy "can oscillator" which is drifting several
Hz on 80m but I am working on a new beacon using a frequency standard
that is much better than a piece of rock... Stay tuned...

Jim:
Re: QRSS on 80m - Sounds like fun, I will try to receive it later on.

It is fun! I managed to receive 15s dot QRSS from SM0AOM (who also
is on this list, BTW, hej Karl-Arne!) on 40m some months ago. He
transmitted a 0.75uW (microwatt) signal and I got a solid copy on the
Argo screen with surprisingly little "spectral smearing". Distance is
approx. 400km. The F-layer must have been acting as a perfect mirror
that day. This worked on the very first attempt so, statistically, either -
we had luck - or - this is indeed workable! Low dipoles were used at
both ends (NVIS?).

The beacon will continue to run through the night (QRSS10 on 3593.546-ish...).

Sorry for the off-topic/off-band message..

73
to ALL
Johan, SM6LKM