LF: Re: IMAGE Satellite Experiment / 73kHz beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: IMAGE Satellite Experiment / 73kHz beacon
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:52:01 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Wolf, LF Group,

I did listen for the IMAGE satellite on 24th, but although I was able to get rid of most mains QRM above 6kHz, also heard nothing, apart from very loud QRN and related peculiar noises. I could not see or hear the Alpha beacons, which had been clearly audible the previous day, so not sure if just very noisy conditions, or these off the air too.

On the basis that 73kHz propagation seems to be in the doldrums at the moment, I will not run the beacon tonight, and wait until the 73.25kHz Rugby signal has picked up again on the other side of the pond.

Re: monitoring the signal levels around 73k - I am something of a fan of DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab - the spectrum analyser display gives you a direct measure in dB of the signal ampltude. If you set up the colour scale for the waterfall display to something that you like, varying the "brightness" and "contrast" sliders vary the display from an Argo-like high contrast good for reading QRSS to a low contast, multi coloured display that is better for looking at relative signal levels.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU