Re: LF: HAARP & NASA & Hearing Meteors

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: HAARP & NASA & Hearing Meteors
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:53:09 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Andy wrote: >And is the energy contained in a larger meteor
flash enough to produce sound at 100km  distance considering that the EM
field to sound conversion efficiency cannot be particularly high ?

This is the essential question. Like Jim, I still have some concerns that the effect could be from "sensory crosstalk," although there have been recordings made of what are said to be sounds resulting from grass, pine needles, etc., responding to electric fields.

Now, I don't doubt that people are hearing what they report. But I'd be more of a believer in the electrophonic explanation if I could find experimental confirmation that the purported VLF waves themselves are actually being generated.

Jim wrote: >If such an effect were caused by VLF somehow being perceived,
or for other reasons, would you not notice similar sounds occurring when there was lightning near by?

There is some reason to believe the EMP from a nearby lightning flash is, in fact, perceived as sound by direct reception within the human nervous system. In most such cases, though, the click or chirp is swamped by the acoustic clicks, crackles and snaps taking place in the hearer's immediate vicinity. A pretty substantial field is required to do this; it isn't perceived at more than a few score meters from the strike, if I remember correctly.

73,
John Davis