LF: Re: 73KHz beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: 73KHz beacon
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:24:49 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rik Strobbe wrote:

[...]
A short vertical monopole has a gain of 4.77dBi / 2.62dBd because of its
radiation pattern, especially the rather 'sharp' vertical pattern.
This gain of 4.77dBi assumes a perfect ground, so no losses at all.
[...]

Rik, thanks for the explanations.
I would have never imagined that the gain provided by having a radiation
diagram 'squeezed' in the vertical plane could more than compensate for
the losses caused by the very short dimensions (compared to the wavelength)
of the antenna.  Today I learnt a new one. TNX.

73  Alberto  I2PHD