LF: Re: CFH?not so Dumb Question

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: CFH?not so Dumb Question
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:34:16 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Andy es group

Turn the question round a bit and think outside our amateur radio world...

Is this really a discussion we want to have when we are trying to get an
agreement for sharing so that VE's can have an LF band?

Why do the Canadian Navy need to transmit on 137kHz ?

"Need" has nothing to do with it.  They have the facility and they use it.

What does a broadcast on this frequency offer that either HF or satellite
comms cannot supply ?

A lot when it comes to communications with aircraft at very high latitudes,
submarines, etc.

Could it be for high latitude operations ?

First, if this is a subject for discussion I would most certainly appreciate
it being taken off line.  Second, this signal when it is available has
provided us with excellent propagation study resource which has helped us
see the potential of getting over the North Atlantic.

The aparent carrier frequency is 137.04n, where n seems to change a bit from
time to time.

Larry
VA3LK